Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Java Rice


My daughter’s birthday is fast approaching. If I were to ask, mas gusto ko pang ipasyal na lang siya and have a dinner somewhere else. But his father insisted to have a simple celebration with her titos, titas, grandparents and cousins at our house therefore kelangan kong magluto :-(

I’m planning to include Java rice in our menu. Luckily I found a recipe of Java rice in one of the magazines I bought recently but I find it quite complicated. First, I don’t know where I could buy annatto oil and the shrimp powder wala akong makita sa supermarkets nearby. My solution?? Concoct my own annatto oil and as usual cook whatever is available in our pantry.

Ingredients:-
Cold cooked rice
Atsuete -(annatto seed)
Olive oil
garlic -minced
onion -brunoise
carrots - chopped
roasted red bell pepper - chopped
salt & pepper


To make your own annatto oil.Heat the wok over medium heat.Put olive oil together with the atsuete, fry for a few minutes or until the oil absorbed & turned into an orange color. Remove the atsuete.

In the same wok with the annatto oil,add the onions and garlic wait until aromatic. Next, add the roasted bell pepper and chopped carrots continue to stir-fry. Mix cooked rice with all the ingredients until uniform in color. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. You may garnish it with leeks or spring onions.

Bon appetit!!

No comments: